One landmark of Huntington, known as the "Roundhouse," burned in 1953.
It was built in 1916 and enlarged around 1925. Damage to the structure was estimated by Union Pacific Officials at about $200,000, including damage to the engines housed in it at the time of the fire.
In the late 1940's, steam power was going to be withdrawn and diesel locomotives were to be used. One of the railroad officials felt the intention to completely dieselize, would result in a lesser demand for maintenance personnel, but in general it would make little change except in the roundhouse itself.
Huntington was known as a "division point" for the railroad. It was an important railroad town since 1884 when the Oregon Railroad and Navigation Company made Huntington their common terminal.
The Oregon Short Line (a Union Pacific subsidiary) and the Oregon Railway and Navigation Companies were joined in a nationally acclaimed spike-driving ceremony in 1884. In 1898, the Northwest Railroad Company began extending a short line down the Snake River. It reached Homestead about 1910. This increased transportation at Huntington and gave an outlet for Eagle and Pine Valley fruits, cattle, lumber and ore. This line was flooded by water from the power dam at Brownlee.
Source Baker County