Oregon Trail Meeker Marker
Located near Farewell Bend, the last camp on the weary journey across the Snake River winds overland to the Columbia River.
Huntington became the only incorporated city in Baker Countyon the Oregon Trail in 1891 with Home Rule Law.
Remnants of the Old Oregon Trail can still be seen today traveling northward from Farewell Bend State Park toward the town of Huntington on Highway 30.
Evidence of hardship and tragedies during the pioneer movement still exists.
A small iron cross, visible from Highway 30, marks the location where Snake River Shoshone Indians killed a number of unfortunate emigrants in 1860.
In 1870, Miller's Stagecoach Station was established before the coming of the railroad in 1884.
It soon became the primary shipping point for the great cattle country to the south. Huntington, named for JB and JM Huntington, brothers who purchased Miller's holdings in 1882, was a rugged frontier town, having it's share of saloons, Chinese opium dens, and gunslingers.
At the turn of the century, Huntington developed a reputation as "Sin City".
Governor Oswald West was motivated to clean the city up, along with Copperfield, in 1912-1914
Source Baker County